Skydiving is an amazing experience that can give you a rush of adrenaline like no other. But before you take the plunge, it’s important to know what you need to get started. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about skydiving, from the basic requirements to the gear you’ll need.
What are the basic requirements for skydiving?
There are a few basic requirements you must meet in order to skydive. These include:
- Age Requirement: You must be at least 18 years old to skydive solo. This is a standard rule across most skydiving centers and is enforced without exceptions.
- Weight and Height Requirements: The weight requirement for skydiving is typically at the discretion of the skydiving center. For example, at Skydive Carolina, the weight limit is 225 pounds. This includes your clothing and shoes. The requirement is in place due to the specifications of the skydiving equipment and for safety considerations. There is no specific height requirement mentioned, but the fit of the harness is a critical factor, and it can only adjust to a certain extent.
- Physical Fitness and Health Considerations: While you don’t need to be an athlete to skydive, a basic level of health and mobility is necessary. You should be able to crouch, arch your back, and lift your legs for a successful skydive. Skydivers with pre-existing medical conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, or seizure disorders should get clearance from a medical professional before skydiving. Certain severe conditions, such as epilepsy or serious heart issues, might pose significant risks and should be discussed with a doctor.
- Mental state: You must be mentally stable and not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Other Considerations: It’s important to wear appropriate clothing and shoes. Closed-toed, lace-up shoes are recommended. Boots, sandals, flip-flops, heels, or shoes with hooks or buckles are not permitted.
What gear do you need for skydiving?
You’ll need the following gear for skydiving:
- Skydiving jumpsuit: This will protect you from the cold and the wind.
- Helmet: This will protect your head in case of an accident.
- Goggles: These will protect your eyes from the wind and dust.
- Parachute: This is the most important piece of gear, as it will keep you safe during your fall.
- Reserve parachute: This is a backup parachute in case your main parachute fails.
What else do you need to know about skydiving?
In addition to the basic requirements and gear, there are a few other things you need to know about skydiving:
- Weather: Skydiving is only safe in good weather conditions. If it’s too windy or rainy, your jump may be cancelled.
- Cost: Skydiving can be expensive. Expect to pay around $200 for your first jump.
- Experience: It’s a good idea to take a skydiving lesson before you make your first jump. This will teach you the basics of skydiving and help you feel more comfortable.
Additional tips for skydiving
- Dress in comfortable, loose-fitting clothing. You’ll be moving around a lot during your jump, so you’ll want to be able to move freely.
- Wear sunscreen. You’ll be exposed to the sun for a long period of time, so it’s important to protect your skin.
- Bring a camera. You’ll want to capture the memories of your skydiving experience.
Skydiving is a safe and exciting activity that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and fitness levels. By following the tips in this article, you can be sure to have a safe and enjoyable skydiving experience.